Sunday 4 September 2011

What a difference an hour makes


 Well, we have them.

Those priceless, all-important UK Visa’s that allow all 3 of us into Britain legally, long term.

At 12.30pm I was allowed into the UK Immigration Bureau with my ticket No.3. I waited til my number was called hten had to sign several pieces of paper before being given a HUGE envelope.

I was asked to go ‘over there’ to open it, examine carefully the documentation and see if the visa stamp was present.

With a deep breath, I opened the envelope and went straight to the passports knowing full well two things
1.     If the visa is there, DH will be gone by the end of the week and we’ll soon follow
2.    If the visa isn’t there DH will be so disappointed as he’s desperate to get over to the UK Office to start handover with the manager he’s replacing.

I left the Bureau by 12.50pm and rang DH ‘we’ve got them’ and I could hear his smile and relief with the one word he said ‘great’.

Within the hour, DH has booked his flights and leaves in 2 sleeps.

We’ll phone the packers once we’ve got confirmation from work about the ‘do’s and don’ts’ as they seem to change often.

Once that’s done, we’ll be able to book our flights.

So the talk will soon be ‘we are leaving on such’n’such a date’ and it will come up very fast indeed.

Such is the life of an expat.

So much waiting for confirmation of your move, then wham-bam you’re gone but hopefully not forgotten (now to find our winter clothes cos apparently its freezing over there!)

With friendship
x

No comments:

Post a Comment